Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A cellular memory relived

First thing I did before leaving Illinois – family tradition!
The little town of Goreville was adorable. Made me want to stay and meet people.

I really didn’t mind the nothingness of farm land. It made me feel connected to America, to the whole web that is the food chain. One of my favorite things has always been tall grasses. The feeling of the seed head brushing your hands as you walked was something I had missed. The fruitfulness of this land made me feel a great vitality within myself. Strong. Healthy. Solid.

As I rounded a corner on the interstate, I saw the Arch, and instantly switched lanes to the right side of the road, in case there was pull-off to take a picture. It was still a good ways away, and I was headed straight for downtown St. Louis, so unfortunately, I wasn’t able to stop. I had to keep moving with the city traffic. But then, a windfall! A traffic jam due to construction stopped us dead on, right on the bridge, just long enough for me to snap a few pics. Awesome! Thanks, Universe!
Description: C:\Users\Brittany\Pictures\Summer Adventure 2012\Day 3\100_4275.JPG
On my way to the campsite for the evening, stopped to take in a very scenic view. It had horses, too!
Description: C:\Users\Brittany\Pictures\Summer Adventure 2012\Day 3\100_4277.JPG
Description: C:\Users\Brittany\Pictures\Summer Adventure 2012\Day 3\100_4287.JPG
Setting up camp. I was SOO tired!! But the first rule of camping is shelter first! Always! Then, I ran to the visitor center just in time to catch the ladies leaving. I convinced them to open the doors just to get me a trail map. Sorry to say it wasn’t very useful. So far, Florida is still winning for the best trail maps in State Parks!
Description: C:\Users\Brittany\Pictures\Summer Adventure 2012\Day 3\100_4288.JPG
A brief snack, and I went hiking anyway! This trail was very primitive, some parts you could hardly even see the trail for all its overgrowth. Thank god they DID have trail markers. I had a spooky feeling, as it winded through some pretty deep woods. Between bugs and spider webs, I just kept my tripod swinging out in front of me and kept moving. Later I would find out why I felt odd.
Description: C:\Users\Brittany\Pictures\Summer Adventure 2012\Day 3\100_4290.JPG   Description: C:\Users\Brittany\Pictures\Summer Adventure 2012\Day 3\100_4293.JPG

Description: C:\Users\Brittany\Pictures\Summer Adventure 2012\Day 3\100_4294.JPG
This little guy surprised me! I couldn’t figure out what it was!! Is is a groundhog?
Description: C:\Users\Brittany\Pictures\Summer Adventure 2012\Day 3\100_4306.JPG
Overlooking the same spot the Lewis and Clark saw in the 1800s!
Description: C:\Users\Brittany\Pictures\Summer Adventure 2012\Day 3\100_4305.JPG
Description: C:\Users\Brittany\Pictures\Summer Adventure 2012\Day 3\100_4320.JPG
Thought they were blackberries, until I looked skyward! Elderberry!
Description: C:\Users\Brittany\Pictures\Summer Adventure 2012\Day 3\100_4328.JPG
Just shortly after taking this photo, I had a flash of my first memory of a past life. I had been native American, and had been down in a ravine just as this, washing something in the creek, when I realized I was surrounded, and that my life was in great danger. As I stood up, in my memory, I woke from the meditation, just as something glimmered among the tree branches at the top of the ridge. I remembered this whole scenario in mere seconds as I walked through the last 100 yards of this “primitive” trail, and I started to book it. They say we learn from the past, so there ya go!
Description: C:\Users\Brittany\Pictures\Summer Adventure 2012\Day 3\100_4341.JPG
This spring was not big at all! A bit of a let down at the end of a spooky (but properly rated as moderate to hard – and thus quite satisfying) hike!
Description: C:\Users\Brittany\Pictures\Summer Adventure 2012\Day 3\100_4340.JPG
The “Big” spring
Description: C:\Users\Brittany\Pictures\Summer Adventure 2012\Day 3\100_4345.JPG
Description: C:\Users\Brittany\Pictures\Summer Adventure 2012\Day 3\100_4346.JPG
Ramen noodles tasted good!
Description: C:\Users\Brittany\Pictures\Summer Adventure 2012\Day 3\100_4349.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Britt's Current Events Calendar