Saturday, May 26, 2012

This land is your land, this land is my land...

At the top of Lone Eagle Over Look on our geology hike this morning

Showing a fresh spot where Elk had nawed at the tree bark last winter! Look how TALL they are!!

The petrified redwood tree stump

The little homestead I got to tour at the Fossil Beds National Monument


Today I woke up early, just to get an early start on a day full of hiking. My first stop was down the road a bit in Mueller SP, Overlook trail. And much to my surprise when I parked and started to pack my gear, but a park volunteer ranger pulled up and asked if I was part of the guided hike. Well, now I was! What lucky timing! It turned out to be a geology hike, but covered topics from trees, terrain, climates, hiking rules, religion, life, wildlife, and history. It was awesome! And I am so grateful for the wonderful group of people I met. They even gave me a burrito before I left, which I ate on my way to the Fossil Beds.

About 30 minutes down the road, I entered my first National Park – Florrissant Fossil Beds National Monument. It is a park rich in geological history (glad I went on that morning hike!! I was so much more informed for this excursion!). The basic was that 34 million years ago, a volcano erupted and encased giant redwood trees (yes, in Colorado!!) in mud lava. Then, as the trees died and thermal waters moved in, chemical reactions petrified the wood, leaving HUGE tree stumps to be discovered by settlers in the 1800s. These things were massive! It made me want to see the real things in California! And once again, I just happened upon the 2 o’clock ranger talk… which I had all to myself! Ranger Laine Weber talked to me all about the volcanoes and even the ancient animals that lived in the diverse ecological system that existed back then. And then she recommended a great burger spot in town, cause boy had I been craving!

Now I am winding down and doing a load of laundry at the camper services building. Tomorrow afternoon I will report to my first externship, and I am excited to get into the working routine again. Colorado just doesn’t seem complete yet without some horses…

Oh! And Marmot tent company overnighted me some replacement poles for my tent! I’ll go pick them up in town before I head two hours north to Conifer, Co.

This Land is your land, this land is my land, I sure wish y’all could have joined!

1 comment:

  1. I'm there with you in spirit! Bryan keeps asking where is Britt today? Glad to hear you start your first work later today. I'm jealous of your adventures and love that you get to capture great photos using a little tripod. It makes me want one! Bryan and I can never get photos together. Your hat makes you look like you have long braids. Pretty! Very cool about the coincidence of the guided hike too. I have always wanted to see those big trees in CA. And I remember the elk in CO. Have you seen any yet up close? Happy to hear about the tent poles. Great company!

    ReplyDelete

Britt's Current Events Calendar