Monday, May 21, 2012

See the USA from your "____" - windshield?












Today started out with excitement, an actual sense of adventure. A few brief panic attacks reminded me that I was leaving everything I had ever known behind, but my determination to stay in the moment helped to keep me in check. It all seemed relatively surreal for the most part, as I crossed milestones, like the farthest point west I had ever been, the first brand new state on this trip (Illinois), and my inaugural hike – on which I forgot a lot of things!! LOL!

The biggest thing that happened today was that I reached a goal I set out to reach almost 15 years ago – I made it to Nashville, Tennessee! You know, for all my singing, I had never been. So drigin under that sign today was quite monumentous, and emotional, as I was not arriving to try my luck, as had been the original plan in my life. Instead, I was passing by on a completely different journey, and it made me think about how life can take you just about anywhere. You just have to stay open to the path you were meant to take. As I rounded the mountain, and the city came into view, I started snapping pictures of the downtown building-tops. But I quickly stopped. I-24 coursed around the east side of the city, and to my left was a HUGE pile of trash. WHAT?! Yep, trash, metal scrap, garbage, as tall as the instate was high. The city looked dirty, small, and honestly, not that intimidating. I didn’t take any more pictures, and instead let it all sink in. This ivory tower I had held in my heart for so, so many years suddenly came crashing down. I laughed. I felt an overwhelming surge of confidence wash over me, as if to say, “Eh, I could take ya!” I jotted the mental note as I drove north toward Kentucky, in case this “veterinarian” thing doesn’t end up working out. 

To keep things short and sweet, as I should start my fire and get to reading my TCVM, here are pics and a few tips from my first adventure hike in Ferne Clyff State Park, Goreville, IL:

  • I had to remind myself (again and again) to SLOW DOWN, after I jumped up on a rock to climb it, and pulled a muscle in my neck! Not on the first day, Brittany, come on!
  • Illinois people seem jolted when I say hello on the trail.
  • The waterfall was all dried up, but this actually turned out to be the coolest non-waterfall ever!
  • The park is not well organized, in that there are very VERY few signs telling you where things are and what trails are what. I did not explore too far, for fear of not really knowing where I was. Their map stinks!
  • The water fall trail got spooky at the top, when I smelled rotting flesh. So I followed my gut and got the heck out! However, on the cave trail, I took a pic and saw a HUGE orb, and then immediately felt a spirit presence. I reminded myself to keep my own source point closed, but did not feel at all in danger or threatened by it.
  • The cave was so huge with so many boulders, that I was unsure where the trail was to pick up again and head back. I searched the landscape and finally saw a 4 inch by 4 inch brown sign with a hiker on it. Geez! We’re supposed to SEE that!!??
  • I do so love my campsite! I was nervous at first about being alone in the woods, but after my hike, I feel greatly calmed – could be that I am just tired! Lol!



Must caption that these are FAKE, but they did a pretty good job! :)

1 comment:

  1. I always thought Nashville was a dirty town when I went through it. But I figured I hadn't seen the music side of town. I like your pics! Good blog. Excited for you on your new travels. But please be careful texting or snapping pics while driving...it only takes a second!

    ReplyDelete

Britt's Current Events Calendar